Gartner published their updated Market Guide for Managed Detection and Response (MDR) Services on June 11, 2018. Arctic Wolf Networks has been recognized for three years in a row. New players have entered into the rapidly growing MDR market.
“By 2020, 15% of organizations will be using MDR services, up from less than 5% today.” *
Many MSSPs are adding MDR-type services to their portfolios to compete against MDR service providers. However report cautions—
- Gartner clients with little to no investments in threat detection and response technologies report that outsourcing security event monitoring to an MSSP has led to unmet expectations and negative experiences*
- Adoption of the term "MDR" by MSSPs should be met with healthy skepticism by buyers, as Gartner has observed in the last 12 months. Those exploring MSSPs for these services should assess the MSSPs' technology stacks (or supported technologies) and the availability of threat- hunting skill sets*
Additional key findings from the report include:
- MDR services are filling the need of organizations of all sizes that lack internal security resources and expertise and want to expand their investments beyond preventative security technologies to address their detection, response and 24/7 monitoring gaps *
- 24/7 monitoring, analysis and customer alerting of validated security events with incident triage performed by a person (not relying just on automation), as well as more direct communication with the provider's analysts and less emphasis on using a portal as the primary interface with the customer *
- "Response" Is a Defining Element of MDR Services, and Capabilities Are Going Further. MSEs indicate a greater acceptance of containment actions where and when threats represent business-level impact *
Featuring research from
* Gartner Market Guide for Managed Detection and Response Services, Toby Bussa, Kelly M. Kavanagh, Sid Deshpande, Craig Lawson, Pete Shoard, Jun2018. Gartner does not endorse any vendor, product or service depicted in its research publications, and does not advise technology users to select only those vendors with the highest ratings or other designation. Gartner research publications consist of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization and should not be construed as statements of fact. Gartner disclaims all warranties, expressed or implied, with respect to this research, including any warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. GARTNER is a registered trademark and service mark of Garnter, Inc. and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and internationally, and is used herein with permission. All rights reserved.
For organizations seeking a security operations center, Arctic Wolf’s AWN CyberSOC™ is the perfect solution. To do the equivalent internally would have cost us far more and taken many tmonths. AWN’s Concierge Security Engineer™ acts as extension of our IT team and provides a level of service that can only be described as incredible.
Larry Chapman, IT Manager, Trusource Labs